This is life

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

How Great Is Our God

So most of you probably know that my heart is burdened for Africa and has been for years. I've wanted to go there and serve as a missionary, but I've always been scared!! Scared that I wouldn't know what to do, or how to share the gospel with them, or that I would be ineffective, or that I just wasn't trained enough...etc. But after the past year of my life, I know that God can use me anywhere if I just let HIM. If I submit to Him and just say "Okay, I'll go," then He will be faithful in providing me whatever I need to do His work. Now I am ready to go.
So I have decided to move to Swaziland (South Africa) in September to work with a missionary called LeeAnne, whom our church supports. I met LeeAnne last summer and absolutely loved her and told her then of my heart and that someday I might want to come and serve with here there. So here we are many months later and LeeAnne just returned for a brief time before she transitions into a different location in Swaziland. I spent a lot of time talking with her about me coming there and working with her. She was all for it and said now she's gonna hold me to it! So I plan on moving to Swaziland in September and staying for about 3 months. So back to how great God is...LeeAnne put together a short missions trip for families of our church-for one week in April, during the Easter break. Well, I really wanted to go on this trip...but the flight to Johanessburg is not cheap-around £600. The accommodation and everything is really reasonable, only £350 for everything once we're there (including a day safari trip thing)...but the flight jacks the total cost up to about £1000. That's a stinkin lot of money. I don't have that much money. So anyway, I started praying specifically that if God wanted me to go, He would provide the money. I told God that I wasn't going to ask anyone for any support in this, and that if He wanted me there, He would speak to people's hearts and they would come forward and help me bring down the cost. God answered in a big way, because He is FAITHFUL. Sunday morning after church, a couple called the Herberts told me that they wanted to pay for me and Andy (my co-worker) to go on the Swaziland trip. Pay in full...not a portion to help us, but the entire thing. I was astounded. I almost started crying, and thought I was going to. I mean, how amazing is that. How do you say thank you to someone for that??? I just told her straightaway that I had been praying specifically for this. Lynn (Mrs. Herbert) did the talking and her husband, John, just stood there with a smile on his face, looking very content. It was so precious. God has blessed them so much financially, and they are generous enough to bless others with it. How great is our God.

1 Comments:

At 5:11 AM, Blogger Lindsey Nicole said...

Travis!!! What in the world are you up to these days? I talk about you a lot over here to people that never met you and you are a legend. If not yeppie, then what?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home