This is life

Monday, July 23, 2007

Reflections on 4th of July in Bulembu

One day I thought it would be fun
to go and play out in the sun.

But then the sun did not come out,
So I sat and tried not to pout.

It was Independence Day,
so volleyball I wanted to play.

But the rain would not go away,
so in my house I had to stay.

But in my house things went awry,
I saw the water tap had run dry!

And on top of that the microwave broke,
I thought to myself "Is this day a joke?"

I chopped the onions and made some food,
but my hands were dirty so I was in a mood.

We decided the weather could not ruin our spirit,
Red, white and blue-no matter what we would wear it!

So we sported our capri pants with socks pulled up high,
and our jersies with hoods to help keep us dry.

And onward we went to the nice Chinda Place,
to celebrate this day with every different race.

Then we sang all the American songs that we knew,
but the Brits couldn't remember their own anthem, 'tis true.

We played "baseball" with a spoon and a bun,
and rounded the "bases" fast as we could run.

We ate burgers and salads and then apple pie,
and shot fireworks up high in the sky.

But after all this the fun had to end,
we knew the kitchen was a mess-we could no longer pretend.

So we rushed home to do the piles of dishes,
and concluded our day sharing our thoughts and wishes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home