This is life

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Who Knew Dean Martin was an Alcoholic Comedian?

I thought he was just a great singer, but Deano was pretty funny as well I guess. Last night, April and I went to "The Rat Pack" show in the West End and it was excellent. I mean, seriously excellent. We went into London for the day-started off at Chili's in Canary Wharf...but my tummy has been yucky this week so I only had a boring dinner salad. £3 for a little bowl of iceburg, that's unfortunate. But I do love the atmosphere and Chili's holds so many great memories. I was telling April many of them yesterday. Beginnings, endings, celebrations...good times. Anyway, then we went to Greenwich and walked around-went up to the Prime Meridian and had an amazing view from there. The park there is fantastic-massive green hills and loads of trees. Then we had some cheap cobbler at this place I go to for cobbler when I am in Greenwich.
Then we went to ASDA. ASDA is the wal-mart of England--wal-mart actually owns ASDA, so they have George clothes like in Wal-Mart, but that's about the only thing they both have. This was my first ASDA experience and it was pretty good. It had the Wal-Mart feel to it, but still England so you see things like Jammie Dodgers (some kind of cookies) and stuff like that. But I got 2 cute, cheap George sweaters!
After all this we went to the half price tickets booth at Leicester Square-got there at 7 p.m. and were able to get tickets for "The Rat Pack" at 8. We felt like we were in America-the theatre was different from many other London theatres and the music playing up until the start of the show were American classics. Could not believe how excellent the show was. Frank was the best-very classy and cool. Dean made lots of cheesy jokes, a couple of which were actually kinda funny. And they talked a whole lot about Dean's drinking addiction-which I guess was just part of the show and not necessarily true. The guy who played Sammy Davis Jr. was interesting. Yes, that is how I have to describe him. He moved in interesting ways-jumping around and dancing and such-very very entertaining. I don't know how accurate it was because I don't know Sammy Davis Jr.'s style too well. The singing was fabulous. I would definitely see it again.
I am going on another backpacking excursion this weekend. I cannot believe I am going backpacking again. I really thought it was a one-time experience for me. I am already semi-regretting my decision to go, but I'll just be praying that it doesn't rain and that it isn't too cold. This journey is way easier than the other one though-the hike in isn't nearly as long and the altitude isn't as high. The hike up on Sunday won't be as difficult either. We have 14 people going, so it should be great. Several of our youth are going. Then Wednesday we're off to Stockholm, Sweden for a few days for the annual high school retreat with other International churches. So that's what's on the calendar.

1 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Blogger Lindsey Nicole said...

Hey faithful blog reading posting friend! Don't you know that I know that when I move back to America I will desperately miss England and my travel opportunities and experiences here. Oh I know. I will be bored. I won't know what to do. People will not understand. Except you. Prague is high on my list, I better make it. Maybe in the July grand finale trip.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home