This is life

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

My very social life

About this being the most social week ever…after our housemate picked us up on Tuesday we were driving home and she began explaining that every single afternoon/evening this week there was some kind of social gathering. You know how sometimes you get that feeling like you’re drowning and you just want to get your head above water? I felt like that because we were a day late back from Durban and I had to have someone substitute my class and I wasn’t fully prepared for the week because I still hadn’t met with the girl who used to teach my class and talk about what I needed to cover. We were supposed to meet before I left but have yet to meet. Anyway it was just one of those things when you suddenly realize you are going to have no ME time or ALONE time or planning time. Well you may have a little, but not a lot. But it was actually pretty fun and everything worked out alright. Tuesday night we had a surprise “kitchen tea party” (bridal shower) for this SA girl Jacqui who is getting married in December. It was really nice. Wednesday night we had this surprise going away dinner for Julie because she’s leaving for 6 weeks, but it was a flop. I don’t know why were doing it anyway since she’s coming back. It wasn’t really goodbye. Thursday afternoon there was a baby shower for a Swazi lady, but I skipped that because I don’t really know her yet. Friday there was supposed to be a dinner but we ended up not having it and had a LOST marathon instead. We only watched 5 episodes this time. And then Saturday I had the girls from my class over to watch a movie. They chose Pride and Prejudice, which was kinda funny because I’m sure they couldn’t understand half of what the actors were saying. Then we had this major volleyball tournament in the afternoon. It was like the Olympics because we had people representing America, SA, Canada, England, Swaziland. It was awesome. SA rolled in on the tipper truck (flat bed pickup sort of) wearing these SA flag banner things on their heads and SA flag t shirts they had just made. They were yelling and cheering. Then 3 of our Americans rolled in with their USA t shirts and red, white, and blue bandanas and wigs and such. After we kicked SA’s bums we had a cheer competition (just the 4 of us American girls and the 4 SA girls). It was hilarious. This is another reason why I love the Bu. Word spread about the tourney and pretty soon we had tons of kids up watching and some of the missionaries coming with their fold up chairs to watch. It was an event. Afterward we had a big braai at the other girls house. Then when the peeps left, we girls watched another 2 episodes of LOST. It was scary stuff. So yeah we had a pretty great Saturday. And tonight (Sunday) after church there’s a surprise birthday thing-a bring and share dessert get together. So the week of social events continues!! But I thing next week will be more mellow. And Monday the inspectors are coming to the school, so we had a big huge clean-up afternoon on Friday. Hopefully everything will go well and we’ll pass inspection. Saturday our team from England arrives, so that’s really exciting…see some familiar faces. Have a great week and be blessed!

2 Comments:

At 8:01 PM, Blogger Nicola said...

oooh that is awesome about the team from england arriving. i wish i could be there. i'm sure u heard Pastor Anderson is leaving... my mother sent me the letter. i was so sad.

 
At 12:34 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Wow, Linds. Who ever knew the BU could be such a hive of activity!!!! It was a pleasure having you to stay in Durbs, come back whenever you like the door is ALWAYS open.

Lots of love
Sarah

I'll mail you soon but just wanted to so thank you for the card, we got it yesterday. you're so sweet and it really was a pleasure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home