This is life

Monday, September 25, 2006

No Electricity

We had quite a storm last Sunday night, so Monday morning when we got to school there was no electricity. There was no electricity at the school all week. When it’s sunny outside it doesn’t matter as much if there is or isn’t electricity because it’s fairly bright in the classroom then, but it was a pretty overcast week, so it was a bit of a struggle. It was also fairly cold and since there was no electricity we could not use the room heaters. But the biggest pain was probably that we could not heat up water to make ourselves a nice cup or coffee or tea during the break, which was really a bummer!!! So then we heated up water at home and brought it in a thermos and then all was good in the world again. I felt bad for the kids because they were working so hard and it was so chilly and dark…no fun. On Friday after the morning break we brought all the students up to our house (which is like 5 steps from the school grounds) and practiced singing these songs we are presenting at church on Sunday. Friday was a beautiful day so it was nice to get them out of the classroom and give them a little break.
This weekend there were around 150 people here from various places celebrating a Bulembu reunion. Apparently back in the day when Bulembu was really nice and financially stable there were loads of people living and working here at the mine. Most of the people were white, but I’m not sure where all they came from. Last night they had a big party up at the club house with a band and everything! They were playing some great music. Some of them went to the school Friday afternoon and reminisced about when they were there. I wonder what this place was like back then. Looking at the remnants now you can easily that it was quite a wonderful place in its prime.
Today my roommates went to Nelspruit, SA to fetch a team that’s coming in from Capetown. I could have gone but I decided to stay in Bu because I need to prep for teaching this week and it is a 2 hour drive there and back…and they will only be in Nelspruit for about 3 hours total. I am going there next weekend for an overnight trip anyway, so today I’m just gonna relax at home again. I’m looking forward to going to Nelspruit next weekend because they have a movie theatre and big grocery markets. I guess it’s a fairly large city. There are no movie theatres in Swaziland. I love movies.
We have a school break after this week, so I am trying to sort out a way to get over to Durban, SA to visit my friend Sarah. Durban is on the coast and is supposed to be a pretty nice place. I hope I get to go!
Have a blessed week!

1 Comments:

At 9:21 PM, Blogger Nicola said...

there are no movie theaters? awww. at least u have internet - i like reading ur entries. i'm glad u solved the heated water problem too.

~grace*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home