This is life

Friday, May 13, 2005

Jamaican me crazy

I have a friend in London called Nicola-I met her on a trip to Wales back in September. We've hung out a lot since and been pretty good friends. Went to Brighton and Amsterdam together, and have done lots of stuff in London as well. Anyway, her time here has come to an end. She's been here about a year and is heading back in a couple of weeks. So, last night we met for dinner for the last time we were gonna see each other :-(. And we made it a girls night out, as usual, and Erin, Megen, and Angela came along as well. Well, I LOVE to try new foods, different foods, multicultural foods. A few months back I found a fantastic Moroccan restaurant that we have been to a couple of times. This time I decided we should try Caribbean food-and more specifically-Jamaican. I found a place called Bamboula in an area of London called Brixton. The place was tiny-only seating about 24 people in its entirety, but was decorated so cute! It was like a little beach hut. The workers-and I assume owners-were Jamaican. This was not like your average chain restaurant in the states, such as Bahama Breeze, but true Jamaican. The four of us each ordered something different and shared. We tried the jerk chicken and fried sweet potatoes, a vegetarian lasagne bake and plantains, saltfish with pumpkin, sweet potatoes, yams, and an aubergine (eggplant) bake with caribbean salad. EVERYTHING was fantastic. I actually liked mine the best-the veg lasagne and plantains. So good! Not like your ordinary veg lasagne, somehow very different. Good portion sizes as well-and fantastic prices. You may wonder how I found this random place. I did my research. I like to look at a london website, choose a genre of food, and then look at the various restaurants' reviews and websites if possible. Then I narrow it down to the one. So far we have had success. We decided to try a new place every week, but it'll probably be more like every month, which is fine. So that's the new goal. I'll keep you posted on my diverse culinary experiences.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home